« January 2005 | Main | March 2005 »

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Wow - what a week!

Wednesday with my parents was quite nice. My mom's presentation got pushed back to Monday so I spent a good portion of the day with them. They stopped by for lunch, then I took an early day and left at 3:00 to hang out with them. We ate good food, talked to the late hours, watched a movie, and in general had a hopping good time. The following morning I did a quick breakfast with them before I headed to work for a quick Thursday.

Friday was quite different. After work I headed over to the east side to wish my friend Mark a happy birthday at his party. I got to see a lot of my old co-workers and everyone had a really good time. I'll have an interesting video to post from his high-school years shortly! After I went dashing downtown (after dropping Skype off and grabbing my camera gear) to shoot Brien's suspension show.


The show got moved earlier and I missed about half of it, but for the first time I came back stage with them and shot the entire event photojournalist style. It's amazing the emotion that a powerful event like a suspension can evoke. I am particularly fond of this shot as I think it really shows the gritty side of extreme spiritualism. I'm still waiting for the right opportunity to go up myself and experience it myself. Anyone in the Seattle area should keep their eyes out for the next Bardo Suspension show at the Fenix Underground.

I'm looking forward to Monday - I'm set to get my first commission along with my payroll this week at work which should help me get caught up on bills and start building my savings back up. My insurance ended up being more than I expected on my car (damn you VW finance - damn you!). Things are really starting to look up - I'm much happier at my new company, and that extra positive emotional energy is seeping into other aspects of my life.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Fast times on the couch

It’s been a lazy week. Over last weekend I spent most of my time watching movies and relaxing. On Saturday morning I went to the Mercer Island dog park with Skype to meet up with Rene and Scott for some dog romping. After the dog park Scott ended up coming back over to Seattle with me for some movies and food. He introduced me to a fantastic old movie called the 7th Seal. It’s a very thought provoking Swedish black and white film from the 50’s. I was quite impressed with the cinematography and story line.

After that movie we grabbed some delicious sushi at Blue C and then headed back for more movies. One movie blended into the next, and a good 14 hours later we had seen a number of great flicks. He ended up crashing on the couch and I took him back to Bellevue on Sunday morning. After that excursion I was in a listless mood and spent most of Sunday relaxing on the couch with Skype catching up on some personal projects.

This week is going by fast. Monday was presidents day and the office was pretty dead. We all went out for a nice long lunch and played a bit of poker in the office after we were done with our work. For the most part this whole week should fly by. My parents are in town today and tomorrow and I’m looking forward to spending some quality time with them.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

More on that subject...

OK so I guess I owe it to both Dominic and myself to qualify that last post. My life has been pretty crazy of late and somehow the little bit of craziness that he’s adding here is almost seeming to be too much. Dominic had made a fantastic change occur in my lifestyle as have I for him – we are in a very symbiotic relationship and up until now it’s been amazing.

What Dominic is talking about is crazy – there will be no splitting hairs about it. The thing to bear in mind is that crazy works sometimes. When I think back I have been led down various paths before – led down paths by all sorts of people. When I was destitute, unemployed for nearly two years my friend Bear – may he rest in peace – gave me a crazy idea. Bear told me to go stand on the street corner with a sign and beg for a job. I did it and look where it led me – I have my life back in line. I’m a happy person who now has a pretty good grasp on success. Was it crazy advice from a person who was “told what to do by the universe” on a fairly frequent basis? Yes! Was it the right thing to do? Yes!

This is why I’m going to go see what Dominic is working on tomorrow after work. This is why I’m going to keep an open mind. This is why barring an absolute guarantee of failure I’m going to do everything in my power to do what needs to be done.

I guess I’m done blathering on at the keyboard for now. I’m going to settle into the couch, snuggle with Skype, and watch the Matrix trilogy back to back and get ready for a great day at work tomorrow.

Crazy genius

Just for the record I’m not sure what’s about to happen. My friend Dominic is either crazy, a genius, or both. I’m really not sure which. Either his life is going to spiral out of control and there is nothing I can do to help, or he’s on to something and all his talk of god leading him down a path will blossom into something beautiful. Tomorrow after work he’s going to show me what he’s been doing and I have to admit I’m curious. He’s tried to explain it to me, he’s tried to tell me about it but it just sounds like he is rambling on like one of the crazy people you meet on Broadway. He says once I see it I will understand. I’ll go – I’ll look – I’ll even keep an open mind to it all.

We shall see.

Fair health returns

The last week has been filled with sickness and blight. I was feeling fine last Thursday morning and the world was a good place again. Come noon I started to feel a little ill – the aches in my shoulders, the fatigue… it just kept getting worse. At around 3:00 I ended up leaving work and going home to lay down and see if I could just get some rest and come in bright and healthy on Friday morning – boy was I wrong. By 7:00 I was in intense pain and had a fever of 102.

I had a miserable night and first thing in the morning called my doctor to get an appointment. Dominic was a lifesaver and helped with Skype as well as getting me to the doctor and back. I was quite weak and it took his help to get dressed and walk to his car. It really gave me an appreciation for the elderly – it was one of the first times in my life that I have been able to understand how standing up and walking across the room could be such a Herculean task.

My doctor determined that I had both the flu and a bacterial infection – the double whammy of doom. He gave me some antibiotics and some painkillers and sent me on my way home. After three days of laying in bed doped up on Vicoden I started to feel better. A little bit of energy seeped into my body with each passing day, and by the end of the day Monday I was feeling somewhat healthy.

I drove into work on Tuesday – not quite sick, but definitely not quite healthy either. I was fatigued – even working the clutch on my car driving to work took effort. I made it through about 5 hours at work before I had to go home and rest. I slept from pretty much 6:00 till my alarm went of on Wednesday morning. I’m finally back to pretty good health now – I’m still a bit fatigued but for the most part I’m back in the swing of things and catching back up at work. I’m looking forward to being done with this week tomorrow evening and just spending the weekend relaxing and getting back to 100% healthy.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

625.7 miles of familial bliss

Last week was certainly a good one in my book. Work was fun, I got a lot done, and then I got a pleasant surprise come the weekend. My sister was flying into Walla Walla for spring break from college and I had not seen her in quite a while. She had been bugging me to come down for a bit while she was home but given that I just started a new job I could not take the time off. She called me from the Seattle airport and told me that she was on a layover. I asked if I could come see her at the airport, but due to post 9-11 security reasons she would not be able to leave the concourse.

My mind started racing, I practically hung up on her to go check on something. I called a few friends and delayed some plans I had for the weekend. Then I called Janet back and told her not to get on the final leg of her flight and started driving to go pick her up. We came back to my place for dinner, then headed to my friend Ian’s for his Venture Brothers marathon.

Come Saturday morning we hopped in Precious (BTW I named the GLI Precious, as in my Prrreccious) and started the long drive to Walla Walla Skype settled down into the (blanketed) back seat quickly and hunkered down to sleep for most of the ride. It was smooth sailing over the pass, and really fun to both drive Precious for a long distance as well as talk with Janet.

Saturday night was good in Walla Walla I got to hang out with my entire family for the first time in well over a year, as well as see a few old friends. We ate a nice family dinner and then spent a few hours talking. After the parents had gone to bed I took Steven and we went driving out in the country. It was fun to push some of the limits on my car and see how it dealt with twisty little back-country roads. I’m really excited about the car now that it’s broken in and I’m able to push the engine a bit more than when I first got it.

Sunday morning I drove back bright and early. I had some things I had to do in Seattle (not the least of which was washing the 600 miles of filth off my car) and wanted to do dinner with my friends Scot and Calvin. There was a little drama surrounding the food, but things ended up OK and after a few kitchen crisis’s we called in for some Indian food.

Monday almost brought a tear to my eye. I had to go back into Greythorn to drop off a check to repay a 401k loan. It was really good to see all my old co-workers but in a way it reminded me how much I miss them. Don’t get me wrong – I love my new job and the people I work with, but I really do wish that I could see some of my old co-workers a lot more frequently. I’ve only really kept in close communication with Scott and there are other worthy people there. We all went to have a nice lunch and got to catch up a bit on each others lives.