« A quick shout out to Escape Pod | Main | More confident »

Thursday, October 27, 2005

The good, the bad, and the ugly

I sit here writing this post with a certain feeling of relief (and a stiff back from the anesthetic for the spinal tap) as it turns out I don't have meningitis and I'm not going to die. Obviously a statement like that leads into the far from lackluster story of my past 72 hours.

It all started on Monday when after work Brien and I went to Nordstrom. I wanted to get a new wallet and ended up selecting a very nice money clip/card holder by Lodis. The new wallet has significantly less storage capacity than my old canvas wallet and helped encourage my trend of slimming down what I carry with me on a day to day basis.

After purchasing the new wallet I left what I didn't need with me at all times in the old one and left it on my kitchen counter. I merrily skipped off to work on Tuesday morning without giving it so much as a second thought. Unfortunately Skype was a very bad boy and got up on the counter top and snagged the old wallet for himself. I can imagine it made a tempting chew toy - it's been in my back pocket for years and must have had that "overly tempting daddy smell". After chewing it up and eating not merely the canvas/rubber wallet but also the left over credit cards and various other details he left a few fragments for me to discover upon returning home from work.

As you might guess the canvas and credit card meal did not do great things for Skype's bowels and he had a rather unfortunate evening. He had a few accidents in the house around 10 in the evening and cleaning those up and tending to him made for a late night. Then at about 2:00 in the morning he had another accident - this one he seemed to want to hide so he wedged himself behind me TV/entertainment center to do it. This unfortunately resulted in knocking the entertainment center over so I was woken by the loud crash to discover a new world of liquid shit splatter than covered the TV, walls, floor, curtains, and my phone in its horrifying stench.

After cleaning up a few more rounds of puppy leavings and tending to a sick and whimpering puppy I ended up getting about 3 hours of sleep. I was so tired that when my alarm went off I went back to sleep and managed to be quite late for the weekly staff meeting on Wednesday mornings.

Now this would have been enough excitement and stress for a week but life decided to throw me another curve ball. My co-worker Karen had offered to take me to her Bikram Yoga class on Wednesday evening. I went with her as I had been itching to give it a try. The side effects of the Yoga started an entirely new saga for me on Wednesday night. Upon returning home I got a headache - I initially attributed it to low blood sugar and dehydration. As the evening wore on my headache got worse and worse. I took some Advil but it was to no avail - the headache just kept progressing, passing from a mere annoyance to the worst headache of my life.

By 10:30 I was in excruciating pain - I could not talk, sleep, or even think. I started to worry and called Brien and asked him to take me to the emergency room. We arrived shortly after at the Swedish Medical Center where I was triaged in the emergency room and the doctor asked me a number of questions about my medical background. The pain subsided a bit on its own at this point and was completely wiped out by some Percocet. The doctor had some worries that it might be more than a mere headache however - given my symptoms he wanted to do a CAT scan and a spinal tap to eliminate the possibility of meningitis or an aneurism.

They held off on the CAT scan and did the spinal tap first. It was a mostly pain free procedure, however the anesthetic left my back stiff and made walking difficult. Thankfully the spinal tap was clear and the test results were normal so I was given a clean bill of health and the diagnosis that I merely had a nasty headache (possibly brought on by the stress of the past week or from some mild food poisoning intensified from the system stress of the Yoga) and Brien and I were able to make our way home at approximately 4:00 in the morning.

This brings us full circle back to the beginning of the story where I sit dazed in front of my powerbook, blogging about my week. Talk about exciting - too exciting if you ask me.


holy crap, Sparky! I'm glad you're ok! And I'm guessing that Skype made it through his unpleasantness unscathed as well?


Post a comment

If you have a TypeKey or TypePad account, please Sign In